 |
| My current favorite graffiti piece in La Candelaria |
Greetings dear readers from freezing Bogotá!
Okay, so freezing might be an overstatement, but how miserable is a place that hardly ever gets warmer than 55 degrees (13 or so Celsius), and doesn't believe in central heating? Persistent chill in the bones, and looking forward to moving on to the "City of Eternal Spring," Medellín, before too long.
We arrived in yesterday from hot and muggy San José. Despite all my whining about the miserable mountain climate, it is lovely to be back in a city again. Ariel and I are staying at a new hostel, Musicology, in La Candelaria. I'm still working on my class assignments, and have accomplished 90-95% of assignment 5 of 6 total. I'm rewarding myself with the rest of the evening off, though part of the reason for the night off is that my computer is having an acute relapse of turn-itself-off-suddenly-with-no-explanation-itis. I had thought it was caused by the heat in San Jose, but it appears that it's generally unwell now. Highly frustrating. I've started the draft of this post on a clunky hostel keyboard, but will have to wait to finish it until my computer is back up again, as I don't trust my USB with the hostel computer's health...last thing my computer needs now is a virus. [I figured it out! It was my Picasa software turning it off for some reason...photos loaded!]
It's particularly unfortunate that it happened now, with assignments due and with the glory of REAL wi-fi on hand. The internet here may not actually be that fast, but after SJG it's amazing--graphics load, Skype works...un milagro! I've gone back and corrected the warped photos from the last post, too, as well as added a few new ones.
Anyway, it's been about 4 1/2 weeks here in Colombia, and yet it feels like it's already been twice that. I suppose that's the really wonderful thing about traveling, that you feel like you're eking every last drop of life out of each minute. Throughout Colombia at roadside stands, they have signs advertising 'MINUTOS' for your pay-as-you-go cell phone. It does sometimes feel like I've made a purchase, but on a life scale. I've found that nearly every night I go to bed exhausted, the day filled with new people, lots of listening, note-taking, heavy foods, and experiences out of the ordinary. La vida es buena.
Until relatively recently, the project blog was public and I was trying to direct people there to read day-to-day events of San José. We've made it private recently, as we're using it as a source of data management, and it may end up hosting some potentially sensitive information. In light of this change, I will, sometime in the next few weeks, summarize some highlights and post them here.
For now, I'll leave you with some photos. I went a little crazy today...if any appliance had the right to quit, it was my hard-working little camera. I've captioned the photos below, including some from the drive in from San José. Enjoy, and more again soon!
 |
| This, to me, pretty much describes an average afternoon site most anywhere in Latin America: whitewashed building, corrugated tin roof, plastic tables, red (sometimes yellow or white) plastic chairs, a few bikes or mopeds, and a lot of beer. There should be a Coca-Cola or local beer poster hanging on the wall to make it complete. |
 |
| Monday was a holiday to 'some saint or something' so the gentle rivers or 'caños' along the drive were filled with bathers (and bather-watchers) |
 |
| Where we stopped for lunch. The specialty of this part of the plains is 'momona,' which is a really young calf roasted like this. It hasn't been very easy to be vegetarian here, but the description of an animal still on the teat was enough to cement my rice and beans and avocado order (thus thoroughly confusing the waitress). |
 |
| I love well-made hand-drawn signs |
 |
| They post army officials along the sides past the tunnel at Villavicencio. I asked why, and didn't get any sort of concrete response. 1) It doesn't seem like there's a legitimate military purpose to them being there, so Whew!; 2) They like to give thumbs up to everyone who drives by, so maybe they are an esteem-booster branch of the Colombian army; 3) They have one of the world's largest armies, so maybe they have to figure out something to do with them. Could be anything... |
 |
| One of several beautiful canyons and waterfalls along the drive through the mountains up to Bogota. |
 |
| Arepas! |
 |
| Arepa-making in progress. |
 |
| Back in Bogota, land of expression |
 |
| A man dressed in traditional Arhuaco decor. Full disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about the Arhuaco. I had to look them up with Google...have enough indigenous group memorization and learning going at the moment anyway. |
 |
| Take a look at the juggler. Whimsical, right? Kind of charming? Read on... |
 |
| I feel like only a city like Bogota, which seems to turn tragedy and strife into artistic expression, would have come up with these: the 'Ghosts of La Candelaria' |
 |
Quoting from my Green Guide book: 'It will not escape your notice, as you take the Candelaria walking tour or if you stray a little from the suggested walk, that there are further curiosities in this barrio. Worth a mention are the so-called 'ghosts of the Candelaria.' Often in a state of anguish, they may 'appear' on rooftops and balconies. These blue painted papier mache creations made in the likeness of actual human beings are part of the living history of the Candelaria. Placed in the actual location where someone who was executed used to live, or more sinisterly someone who was murdered in that very spot, the ghosts of the Candelaria add to the macabre, yet fascinating Republic and Independence eras of history here in the Zona Colonial.' Wow. |
 |
| Moving on, then... |
 |
| Coca leaf cookies...they taste like grass. |
Chau for now, catch you again soon!
1 comment:
Alison-
Greetings! Sorry to use your blog to contact you, you probably don't check it anymore, but I am an Asst. Prof of Landscape Architecture at the University of Hong, currently on a studio study tour to Paris, Versailles, Barcelona and Marrakech with 27 students where we are looking at water/water scarcity issues in the context of our first year MLA studio on ecological planning and design.I am writing in reference to the paper you wrote 'Watered Down' several years ago. We found it online and it was very helpful as one of the sources for our students in preparing their initial site research for our trip.
We will be in Marrakech March 17-21 (next week!) - a quick visit when we plan to primarily focus upon structuring a transact along the Wadi Issyl. The studio aims to put together a framework plan with associated individual projects which we hope will address some of the pressing issues of groundwater depletion and water management in the context of the city's rapidly expanding peri-urban areas and burgeoning tourist sector.
We currently plan to spend one day in mini-buses visiting sites along the Wadi Issyl and one day in a workshop, likely based in one of the two Riads we are renting for our time in the city, but our original local contact fell through who was going to be our guide. I know this is late in the game, but I am wondering whether you had any advice or contacts you would be willing to share, in particular local architects/landscape architects/planners (or especially officials from RADEEMA or the ABHT) who would be willing to give us a broad overview of the currently policies and issues concerning water management in the Tensift Basin and Marrakech. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I am in Paris through the 13th then in Barcelona until the 17th - I'd be happy to Skype, email or use another form of communication if that is better for you.
Thank you!
Melissa Cate Christ
Assistant Professor ▪ Division of Landscape Architecture
Faculty of Architecture ▪ The University of Hong Kong
t:+852.2859.2145 ▪ m:+852.5485.9671
e: mcchrist@hku.hk
http://fac.arch.hku.hk/
Post a Comment