So, one of our first AUC-sponsored trips was to Alexandria, on the northern (Mediterranean) coast of Egypt. Just a quick clarification point, this region is called "Lower Egypt," and the area south of Cairo is called "Upper Egypt." The reason for this, as many of you probably already know, is that the Nile runs from south to north and empties into the Mediterranean. Thus, even in ancient times, we had Upper and Lower Egypt just as we have them today. There are huge cultural differences between the two, but more on that after I visit Upper Egypt. Anyway, Alexandria is of course famous for its ancient past, the Ptolemies (Cleopatra), the lighthouse, the library, etc. Today, "Alex" as we call it, is still a thriving center, and the second largest city in the country. It is hectic, but not like Cairo--it feels more like a European city (no doubt in large influenced by its legacy and the heavily colonial architecture around the city). It is a get away destination for many Cairenes, especially during the sweltering summers, and a lot of Egyptian AUC students are from Alex or its environs. I've included a couple photos below.
A man fishing off of the jetty in Alexandria--the Mediterranean has the bluest water I've ever seen in my life.Apparently, it's possible to scuba dive just off the coast of the modern-day city, and see the ruins of literally dozens of palaces, ships, statues, and monuments, dating from 300 BC. You can even see Cleopatra's palace specifically, now with a WWII plane wreck inside; an "archeological adventure," as some of the tour guides call it. I'm hoping to find time to do a scuba dive here, since I recently became a certified PADI diver, but I'll cover that in a few minutes...
The stereotypical fez that I miraculously avoiding wearing in Morocco was a vital part of the experience in a not-so-authentic Egyptian restaurant.
DAHAB
One of the cooler programs offered at the AUC Sports Department in Scuba Diving. Intrigued, I decided to sign up for it with a couple of friends. Our second week of classes, we began scuba diving classes in the evening. We sat in a center in the Cairo neighborhood of Doqi (pronounced "Do'i" thanks to the Cairene colloquial accent), and watched videos instructing us on the basics of scuba diving--how to "make friends, go places, and do things." After several tests and 5 video modules, we were ready to test out our wetsuits and tanks in a pool practical at the local swimming pool in Zamalek. Apparently the pool is Egyptian state-owned, but it's amazing what baksheesh (tips) can get you here. While little children had their swim lessons above, 8 creepy, wetsuit-clad college students and their dive instructor invaded (to add to the drama, the breathing regulators we inserted into our mouths even made us sound like Darth Vader). It must have been quite disconcerting to swim into a burst of bubbles made by our exhaled air down below. We practiced skills such as what do to if your air runs out, how to clear a flooded face mask, and how to control your underwater buoyancy. After successfully passing these tasks (which took under a week), it was time for the real thing. We traveled to a city on the eastern coast of the Sinai Peninsula, called Dahab (or "Gold" in Arabic), and made 4 dives on the beautiful reefs of the Red Sea. After finishing the dives and taking the final exam, we were lifetime, universally-certified divers. Going to Dahab from Cairo supposedly takes about 7 hours, hypothetically, but when driving with your average Egyptian team, it takes about 10 and a half. We left Cairo at 6 pm, and drove through the night through the Sinai Peninsula, crossing under the Suez Canal. We were supposed to arrive around 1 am, but at 1 am we were still stopped at a rest stop several hours from our destination with our drivers inside eating a three-course meal and having tea. We ended up arriving at the hotel at 4:30 am. Dahab is pretty incredible. It reminds me a little bit of Essaouira in Morocco, it's really laid-back, along the ocean, has a lot of water sports, and is slightly "hippy." It's more touristy than Essaouira, but it's a comfortable and enjoyable atmosphere, with restaurants along the beach and music, etc.
My little dive group in Dahab, or the Fantastic Four, as we took to calling our svelte, wetsuit-garbed selves. Actually, though, the wet suit may have been just about one of the most uncomfortable and unflattering items I've ever donned (though I do remember one particular leotard from a certain high school musical that may have been about as bad...). You would not believe how stiff your land movements become once you've got one of these on. Add to it a weight belt, an air-inflatable vest (BCD, or Buoyancy Control Device), and a very heavy air tank, and walking becomes a joke. Then, once you reach the water, it gets even better because you don your face-sucking mask and the perilous 2-foot long flippers, which are always getting caught on underwater rocks or seaweed or generally tripping you up with their awkwardness.
Some dunes in the Black Desert that were almost eerily parallel to the Pyramids in their size and spatial configuration.
My friend and I wondering where we are in our dorky little picture. We all had ample time to take pictures in the road since, not-so-surprisingly; it's not a very busy road... Standing under a chalky, Martian-like formation in the White Desert.
Some of the crew from Dahab in the Black and White Desert. All of us, but two, are from GW and Georgetown (and the others go to NYU and BU, so we've got the city schools covered).
This is how you know that you have entered an authentic Egyptian vehicle--the front mirror, glass, and back window must be completely crammed with knick-knacks and talismans and charms and interior decorating items. Really, I've never seen taxis with so much character. Shag carpeting, as you can see, is a great touch on the dashboard, and thick, colorful rug like blankets are excellent seat covers. Some cars add flashing colored headlights (since, by the way, headlights are completely optional here), and neon hearts to the back window; it's really something...
OTHER STUFF
So, I've got a few other things I want to catch you up on in this monster-blog, hang in there, I'm almost finished. I have two pretty interesting extracurriculars I've taken up, one of which being the English classes I mentioned at the very beginning. These classes are through a group called "STAR" (Students Taking Action for Refugees). I teach English twice a week with a partner to refugees from Sudan, Chad, Somalia, Mali, Niger, and Iraq. Most of our students are from Sudan and Iraq. It is a really eye-opening experience to meet someone and have him or her tell you that he or she is from Darfur or Baghdad. They are amazing people, and really fun and friendly and smart, nothing like you would picture a "refugee." Right now, we are working on the irregular past tense, and I hope to introduce the present simple (I go) and the present continuous (I am going) next week. I'm also going to bring my computer to listen to some English-language music on Sunday for listening comprehension (if you have any good song suggestions, let me know). We take the Metro to class, which is quite the experience in and of itself. The Metro is a pretty popular travel option, and the people will literally shove and scratch their way onto the cars during rush hour. In fact, an important thing to know before you come to Egypt, generally, there is no such thing as a "line" or "queue." When you go to buy a ticket (for 1 Egyptian pound, about 20 cents), you must budge and bump your way to the front, and shout your request over the calls of others. I hated it at first, but now I enjoy the competition. It's the same at all the food stall windows on the street.
My other recently-added activity is a theatrical play written entirely in Amiyya, the Egyptian colloquial. I decided to take a minuscule part in it playing a virulent man-hater. I have only about four lines, but they are to be yelled vehemently and I get to hit the guy at the end. I also will be wearing heinous make-up and have frizzed out hair--you obviously can't be an Egyptian feminist and be mildly attractive, only submissive women can be attractive. I'm doing it with a lot of friends, so it should be great fun, and I'm learning valuable words that I can throw at touchy men on the street ("monster," "get away," "women should divorce men"). We meet once or twice a week and work our lines.
WHEW! This has been an incredibly long blog, possibly the longest I've yet written. I hope you read this in shifts. Thanks for reading, and I'm glad to have updated you. Now, I'd love updates about your life, too, e-mail or something. And also, I know I promised a lot of postcards, so I will be getting around to that eventually--I've been amazed by the lack of postcards on the street here. Ok, I'm finished, I swear. Hope you are having lovely semesters/late winters, and I'll try to keep my next update a little shorter and a little sooner. Ma'salaama!
1 comment:
alison!!! omg i am so lucky -- i decided to try friending you on skype today, and then when i did, i saw your profile to make sure it was you (i mean, just in case there are 40 other alison maassens out there) and then i saw the link for your blog and was like hmm, i haven't seen this in a while! and then i got rewarded with this post, that you put up yesterday! what are the chances? anywaysss i hope you are having a wonderful time (i can tell you are!!) and i miss you! your pictures are wonderful! okay i miss you bunches, hope i get to see you soon!
Post a Comment